- 6 cups seeded chopped watermelon
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- Place watermelon in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Line a strainer with 4 layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Place pureed watermelon in prepared strainer; cover with edges of cheesecloth. Let stand 10 minutes or until liquid measures 2 cups.
- Discard watermelon pulp from cheesecloth; place liquid in a large saucepan. Stir in sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and, if desired, food coloring. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into 5 hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
2 tablespoons: 106 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.