- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Place roast in a large Dutch oven. Add the water, barley, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Skim fat from broth. Add beef and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
1-1/4 cups: 163 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.