Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13x9-in. pan size)
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red paste food coloring, optional
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions, adding mint extract to batter. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and, if desired, food coloring until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a pastry bag. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Dust with cocoa; set aside. Cut brownies into 15 rectangles. Using a 1-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a heart from the center of each brownie. Reserve cutout centers for another use. Place brownies on prepared baking sheet. Pipe frosting into centers of brownies.
1 brownie: 334 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.