- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large heavy skillet, combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until flour is a rich deep brown. Add onion, green pepper and celery; cook until vegetables are tender, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in next 6 ingredients. Cover and simmer until heated through, 4-5 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, until shrimp turn pink, 5-6 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice.
1 each: 358 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 224mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.