- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, onions, carrots, green pepper, pineapple, vinegar, brown sugar, corn syrup, chili powder, paprika and salt; pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with rice if desired.
Can you freeze Sweet-and-Sour Beef Stew?
Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.
1 cup: 290 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.