- 1 head Chinese or napa cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 piece peeled fresh gingerroot (1 inch), sliced
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian red chili paste
- Place cabbage in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1/3 cup salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well. In a very large container, combine the cabbage, cucumber, radishes, onions, garlic and ginger.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, vinegar, chili paste and remaining salt; pour over vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days before serving, stirring occasionally. May be transferred to small airtight containers and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Serve with a slotted spoon.
1/2 cup: 18 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.