Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8.80 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute squash, zucchini, pepper, onion, apple, garlic and salt until the vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes. Add rice, beans, 1/4 cup water and sausage; cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes, adding more water if needed.
Test Kitchen tips
1-1/3 cups: 285 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.