- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, paprika, 1 teaspoon chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large soup kettle, brown beef in oil in batches. Stir in the onions, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, cayenne and remaining chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer 35-40 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Add corn and heat through. Discard the bay leaf before serving.