- 4 pounds fresh beets
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated peeled horseradish
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: Sliced baguette and grated lemon zest
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from water; cool. Peel and shred beets.
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar and vinegar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in shredded beets, horseradish, salt, cayenne and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot relish. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. If desired, serve on baguette slices and sprinkle with lemon zest.
Canning AltitudeThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
1/4 cup: 70 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.