- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: shredded white cheddar cheese and diced red onion
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Add tomato paste, spices and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and broth until blended. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until apples are tender and flavors are blended, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
1-1/3 cups: 284 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 945mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.