- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) Mexicorn, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; crumble meat;drain. Add the enchilada sauce, flour, chipotle peppers, cumin and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in potato flakes until combined. Add chiles and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Transfer meat mixture to 2 greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Layer with corn, mashed potato mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Cover and freeze 1 casserole for up to 3 months.
- Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until bubbly, or until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 15-20 minutes longer. Sprinkle with paprika.
1 serving: 500 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 917mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.