- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 230° (thread stage), stirring occasionally.
- Carefully stir in pecans and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 236° (soft-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until candy thickens and begins to lose its gloss, about 4-5 minutes.
- Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper; spread to form 2-in. patties. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.
Candy ThermometersWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
1 piece: 121 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.