Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar or additional sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk and oil. Add sugar, salt and eggs. Stir in flour (dough will be very sticky). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Stir dough down and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Stir dough down; roll out on a well-floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.