- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups sliced celery
- 3 cups sliced summer squash
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Editor's Note: The stew may also be cooked in a Dutch oven on the stovetop. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
1-1/2 cups: 328 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 1112mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.