- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (about 1 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine the flour, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside 2 tablespoons for gravy. Rub remaining flour mixture over steak. Pound meat with a mallet to tenderize.
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with the carrots, onion, green pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomatoes over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish; keep warm. Strain pan juices into a measuring cup; add water to measure 1 cup.
- In a small saucepan, combine reserved flour mixture with cold water until smooth. Whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add remaining salt and pepper. Serve with steak.
4 ounce-weight: 249 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 549mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.