- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place chicken, breast side up, in a 14-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Rub with oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. If desired, tie legs together with baker's twine. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Arrange the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions around chicken. Combine butter and thyme; drizzle over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and bake until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender, 30-45 minutes.
1/4 pound: 329 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.