Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, toast the quinoa over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- In a small saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, yellow squash and leeks in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato, cilantro, seasonings and quinoa; heat through. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted.
3/4 cup: 126 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.