Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1-1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash ground cloves, optional
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in milk, vanilla and, if desired, cloves. Gradually beat in cocoa and enough confectioners’ sugar to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over top of cake. If desired, sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
1 piece: 374 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.