- 4 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: Chopped red onion, chopped parsley and lemon wedges
- Place water, broth, lentils, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and oregano in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure.
- Stir in spinach, tomato sauce, olives, vinegar, salt and pepper. If desired, serve with red onion, parsley and lemon wedges.Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary.
1 cup: 134 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.