- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (8 ounces each)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Rub pepper over both sides of steaks. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. In an ungreased skillet, brown steaks on both sides over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; add butter and garlic; cook for 4-6 minutes, turning steaks once. Add Worcestershire sauce; cook 4-6 minutes longer, turning once, or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Combine wine or broth, mustard and sugar; add to the pan. Stir to loosen browned bits. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the steaks.