- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Additional oats
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water and oats; let stand until warm (110°-115°). In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add honey, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with oats. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
1 slice: 128 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.