- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff and glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread in a well-greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler, whisk egg yolks until lemon-colored. Add the lemon juice, zest and remaining sugar. Cook over hot but not boiling water, stirring occasionally, until thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread half of whipped cream over meringue shell; cover with lemon mixture. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate. Best made one day before serving.
1 slice: 195 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.