Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spinach and feta chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and celery; cook and stir until sausage is browned, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth, water and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
1 cup: 343 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.