- 4 medium potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 8-12 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeno and ginger; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Add turmeric; cook 1 minute longer.
- Reduce heat to low; add potatoes, water, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Cook, covered, until potatoes are heated through, 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Peppers (Hot)Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
3/4 cup: 201 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.