- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 cups grated uncooked fresh beets, squeezed dry
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Optional: Honey and butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the beets, milk, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into 2 loaves. Place in 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° until top begins to brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. If desired, serve with honey and butter.
1 slice: 108 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.