- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
1-1/4 cups: 376 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.