- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley; cook 5 minutes longer.
Can you freeze Great Northern Bean Stew?
Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
1 cup: 274 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 937mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein.