Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar, applesauce, egg whites, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes (dough will be slightly sticky). Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each portion into an 8-in. rope; tie into a knot. Place on 2 baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.Bake at 375° until golden brown, 12-16 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
1 each: 83 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch.