- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Generously grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and extracts. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Greasing Fluted (Bundt) Tube PansTo remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans.
1 piece: 275 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.