- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 15 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into large chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Rub inside of chicken with 2 tablespoons butter. With a sharp knife, cut 16 small slits in chicken breast, drumsticks and thighs. Place a halved garlic clove in each slit. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; tie drumsticks together.
- Place remaining garlic in pan. Pour half of the broth over chicken. Combine oil and lemon juice; pour half over chicken. Rub remaining butter over chicken. Combine the oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder; sprinkle half over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in pan. Drizzle remaining oil mixture and broth over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle remaining oregano mixture over chicken. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer; baste. Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, basting several times. Thicken pan juices if desired. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
1 serving: 460 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.