- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (7 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Place the onions, celery, carrots, cranberries, garlic and bay leaf in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add wine or broth. Combine the salt, pepper and basil; sprinkle over chicken. Place over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid; discard vegetable mixture. Skim fat from liquid and set aside 1-1/3 cups.
- For sauce, place cranberries in a small bowl; add boiling water. Let stand for 3 minutes; drain and discard liquid. Set berries aside.
- In a nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Stir in half-and-half and reserved cranberries; heat through. Serve with chicken.
1 each: 224 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.