- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first four ingredients and ½ teaspoon of salt. Place chicken in bag, seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; whisk until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Place carrots in a small bowl, pour vinegar mixture over top. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. On a lightly greased grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 170°, 6-8 minutes on each side. Cool slightly; slice into strips.
- Divide chicken among lettuce leaves, top with pickled carrots, green onions and cilantro. Sprinkle with coconut, if desired.
2 wraps: 236 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.