- 7 medium McIntosh, Empire or other apples (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Peel, core and cut each apple into 8 wedges. Cut each wedge crosswise in half; place in a large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until desired consistency is reached, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve with cinnamon.
3/4 cup: 139 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 36g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein.