- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot bulk pork sausage
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chopped tomato
- Finely chopped onion
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco sauce
- Allow dough to rise according to package directions. Meanwhile, for filling, cook beef and sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, beans and water. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until the water is almost evaporated; set aside.
- After dough rises, punch down. Divide dough into 12 equal balls. Using a small amount of flour, roll each ball into an 6-in. circle (dough will be thin).
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 1-in. oil to 350°. Gently place 1 dough circle into oil. Fry until golden brown, 1-2 minutes, turning once. Drain tortillas on paper towels; keep warm. Top each tortilla with meat mixture, tomato, onion, lettuce, cheese and taco sauce.
1 taco: 373 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.