- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, toss apples with apple butter. Combine the flour, sugar, pie spice and cinnamon; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, pie spice and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with ice cream if desired.
1 piece: 371 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.