- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pears in juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: Chopped chives, heavy cream and croutons
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the potatoes, red peppers and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add pears with juice; let cool.
- Using a blender, puree soup in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in cayenne and black pepper. Cook until heated through. If desired, serve with chopped chives, heavy cream and croutons.
1 cup: 127 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.