- 5-1/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, cubed
- Salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal and nutmeg. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Stir in pumpkin and cream cheese until smooth. Sprinkle each serving with pumpkin seeds if desired.
3/4 cup: 191 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.