- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 cups sliced carrots (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the broth, carrots, potatoes, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender, puree carrot mixture in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in half-and-half; heat through (do not boil).
1-1/3 cups: 133 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 995mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.