Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- Yellow, red, blue and green food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Sprinkles, small candies and slivered almonds
- Combine flour, sugar and cocoa; set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil; reduce heat to low. Add flour mixture all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat until smooth. Cover baking sheets with foil; grease foil. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls at least 2 in. apart onto baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Lift foil and transfer to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in each puff to allow steam to escape; cool. Beat pudding mix and milk according to package directions; chill. When puffs are cool; split and remove soft dough from inside. Spoon pudding into puffs; replace tops. Following food coloring package directions, combine red and yellow to make orange, and red and blue to make purple. Divide frosting among three microwave-safe bowls; tint with orange, purple and green food coloring. Microwave frosting until thin (not runny). Spoon one or more colors onto puffs. Add sprinkles and candy for eyes; use almonds for teeth or whiskers. Chill.
1 each: 180 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.