- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or orange juice
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, quartered
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Optional: 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or basil, or drained and diced pimientos
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, herbes de Provence, salt, garlic and pepper; rub over chicken.
- Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion, tomatoes, consomme and vermouth. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Add olives and orange zest. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken. If desired, sprinkle with parsley, basil or pimientos.
herbes de ProvenceLook for herbes de Provence in the spice aisle.
3 ounces cooked chicken with 3 tablespoons olive mixture: 287 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.