- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in eggs, vanilla and water. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Press into two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake until golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks. Cut into bars.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Tips
What are bar cookies?Cookie bars are exactly like regular ol' cookies—just in bar form. To make them, all you need to do is press the batter into a baking pan and cook them in the oven. When it's time to dig in, try cutting your cookie bars one of these three ways.
How do you know when cookie bars are done?You can check the doneness by doing the toothpick test (just like you do for testing the doneness of cake). If you want your cookie bars soft and gooey, a few crumbs are fine. But, if you want them completely done, bake until the toothpick comes out clean.
Why are my cookie bars dry?If your cookie bars turned out dry, don't fret—it's one of the most common baking mistakes. To prevent dry cookie bars, we recommend checking on them about 5 minutes before the recommended baking time just to be safe. Make sure you're using the right pan size, too. Using too large of a baking pan can create a thin, dry batter.
What is an example of a bar cookie?We have plenty more cookie bar recipes to choose from. Try something new by whipping up these Butterfinger Cookie Bars or these Cinnamon Pecan Bars.
Research contributed by Christina Herbst, Taste of Home Assistant Digital Editor, and Lisa Kaminski, Taste of Home Associate Digital Editor
1 bar: 224 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.