- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- SOUR CREAM MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°. For stuffing, combine the bread crumbs, water, 2 tablespoons butter, onion, parsley, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Place about 1/3 cup stuffing under the skin of each chicken breast; secure with toothpicks. In a shallow bowl, combine flour and paprika; coat chicken. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 170°, 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Meanwhile, for sauce, heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion, cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Whisk in cream until blended; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat; add sour cream. Stir just until heated through; do not boil. Serve with chicken.
Chicken Royale Tips
How should you store chicken royale?Like other baked chicken recipes, you can store this chicken royale recipe for three to four days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can you make this chicken royale recipe with boneless chicken breasts?
What other ingredients can you use in this chicken royale recipe?For a variation on chicken royale, we recommend adding other vegetables, like artichokes, to the sauce of this recipe. Have leftovers? Use them up in these artichoke recipes.
—Christina Herbst, Taste of Home Assistant Digital Editor
1 chicken breast half: 1018 calories, 64g fat (35g saturated fat), 243mg cholesterol, 1820mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 53g protein.