- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten, or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup water
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender; remove from the heat. Stir in the broth, seasonings and eggs. Add bread cubes and parsley; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken. Combine soup and water; spoon over chicken. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°.
1 cup: 390 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.