Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine cherries and sugar. Mash slightly; let stand for 15-20 minutes. Stir in cornstarch until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon. Cool.
- Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 5-in. circle. Place about 3 tablespoons cherry mixture on one side of each circle; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm turnovers. Serve warm.
1 each: 454 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.