Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cardamom; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in almonds.
- Divide dough into fourths; shape each portion into a ball. On two greased baking sheets, roll each ball into a 15-in. log (two logs per pan). Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut at a 45° angle with a sharp knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets. Bake for 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers.
2 each: 161 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.