Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook and stir 5 minutes. Mix brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon; add to apples. Cook and stir 7-8 minutes longer or until apples begin to soften and caramelize. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry sheets. Roll to 1/8-in. thickness; cut four 5-in. circles from each sheet. Place about 3 tablespoons filling on one half of each circle. Moisten pastry edges with water. Fold pastry over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal or, if desired, pinch edges to seal and flute.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets. Prick tops of pastry with a fork. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- For topping, mix sugar and cinnamon. Brush pies with melted butter; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, top with ice cream.
Apple Hand Pie Tips
What kind of apples should you use to make caramelized apple hand pies?We recommend Granny Smith as the go-to apple for these mini pies because they’re tart and firm and keep their shape while providing a perfect balance to the sweet ingredients. Here's more advice on picking the perfect apple.
Can you use homemade pie crust to make apple hand pies?Definitely! Homemade pie crust works with equally great results. Depending on the recipe, you may need to adjust your measurements to get the right amount of dough for these hand pies. If you end up with extra, discard or save for another use. Just make sure you're using these pro tips for making the perfect pie crust!
Can you make caramelized apple hand pies ahead of time?Yes! Once your hand pies are fully cooled, you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days. You can also refrigerate your apple pies for up to 4 days. If you're going to freeze your hand pies, it's best to freeze them unbaked—but you can also freeze baked pies. Either way, place pies uncovered in the freezer until frozen solid. Then, store pies in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. (Let unbaked frozen pies fully thaw before baking.)
—Amy Glander, Taste of Home Book Editor
1 hand pie: 369 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.