- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 6 cups 2% milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 packages (11 ounces each) vanilla wafers
- 7 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla and salt. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reserve 1 cup whole wafers and 1 banana for topping. Crush 2 cups wafers and set aside. In a 13x9-in. baking dish, place a single layer of whole wafers, filling gaps with crushed wafers. Layer with a third of the bananas and pudding. Repeat layers twice. Press waxed paper onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- In a bowl, beat heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form (do not overmix). Just before serving, remove papaer and spread whipped cream over pudding; top with reserved banana and wafers.
3/4 cup: 535 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.