- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 lamb rib or loin chops (about 1 inch thick and 3 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sprinkle lamb chops with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Brown chops in batches; remove and keep warm. Add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, basil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes.Return lamb to skillet; add tomatoes. Cook, covered, until lamb reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), about 20 minutes longer. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, adding turmeric if desired. Serve with lamb mixture.
1 serving: 455 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.