- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 5 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add water and lemon juice; cook and stir over medium heat until thick. Cover and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine baking powder and remaining flour and salt. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter. Add the milk and mix just until moistened (a few lumps will remain); set aside.
- Arrange apples in a 1-1/2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Add nutmeg, vanilla and remaining butter to sauce; pour over apples. Drop dough by spoonfuls over sauce. Combine remaining cinnamon and coarse sugar; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 350° until top is brown and apples are tender, about 55 minutes. Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired.
1 serving: 260 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.