- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads or 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 saltines, crushed
- Optional: Tostadas, shredded cabbage and cilantro
- Heat Dutch oven over medium heat; add olive oil. Cook onion, garlic and ½ cup tomato sauce until onion is tender, 3-5 minutes. Add broth and ½ cup tomato sauce; bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ground beef, rice, egg, salt, pepper, milk, cumin, saffron, crushed crackers and remaining ½ cup tomato sauce, mixing lightly but thoroughly. With wet hands, form into 1-in. balls. Gently add meatballs to simmering broth; cook, stirring occasionally, 20-25 minutes. If desired, serve with tostadas and cabbage and garnish with cilantro.
1-1/2 cups: 340 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1931mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.